Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Golden Rum Cake



Today's my anniversary with Mr. Monkey!  It's been three years since we've been together, and I'm looking forward to several more.  I wanted to make something special for the occasion, but I haven't built up a lot of my baking supplies from when we moved.  I hunted around and found this recipe over at Food Blogga.  It's taken from the Booze Cakes cookbook, which I've now determined that I must get my hands on.  This cake is seriously simple to make, and it tastes so good!  A warning about the glaze... you put the rum in AFTER the main part of the glaze has cooked on the stove!  This means the glaze will be very strong tasting (which is awesome), and it will have alcohol in it.

The cake was a big hint with Mr. Monkey, and I sent him to work today with a slice that I made sure to get a good bit of glaze on.  I had a piece this morning for breakfast (don't judge me), and it was nice, moist, and delicious.

Honestly, I just love any excuse to use my bundt pan.  It's purple, it's Nordic Ware, and it's awesome.  Plus it has it's own cake carrier that it came with.

Happy anniversary Mr. Monkey! <3





Golden Rum Cake!


Cake Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks ( 1 cup) unsalted butter - room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup dark rum
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Glaze Ingredients:
  • 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) of butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark rum 
  • 1/4 cup water
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease and flour a 9 to 10 inch Bundt or tube cake pan.
  3. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
  4. Add eggs one at a time, beating after adding each egg.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  6. In another bowl (or in the measuring cup you use for the milk if it's big enough), stir together the milk, rum, and vanilla extract.
  7. Beat the flour mixture and milk mixture into the mixing bowl with the butter. 
  8. Pour batter into pan, and bake for an hour (or until golden brown).
  9. Cool cake on rack, and then place on serving platter (or carrier platter).
  10. For the glaze: In a small pot melt the butter over low heat, and then stir in the sugar and water.   Raise heat slightly and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the rum.
  11. Slowly pour the glaze over the top and sides of cake until completely absorbed.  You can also dust with confectioner's sugar (I forgot to!) before serving.

Makes 10 servings (in theory...).

1 comment:

  1. Christina
    Its my frist time here..this bundt cake looks super delicious!!
    Shema George
    www.lifescoops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete