Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chicken & Spinach Curry


Last week I roasted a whole chicken.  I decided to do it because of how inexpensive a whole chicken is vs getting boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I don't think I did exceptionally well carving it, but I do have the carcass in the freezer for stock making purposes.  The leftovers provided at least 6 or 7 individual meals (counting myself and Mr. Monkey as separate meals), and that was with my lackluster carving skills on a 4 1/2 pound bird.  This was one of the meals that came out of it one day when I realized I had baby spinach that could go bad if I didn't use it, and thus decided to whip up a quick curry.  I remade this dish last night for the two of us, and served it over cous cous.  It's a light meal on it's own, so you may want to add rice, quinoa, or cous cous to make it a bit heartier.

I have a quick confession to make before we get to the recipe... I love curry.  I've had it a few times and was OK with it, but I finally broke down and bought some.  It's so good!  I can't wait to try adding it to other dishes. :3  Hopefully Mr. Monkey doesn't get tired of me using it!

The measurements for this recipe are for a small, single serving.  You can scale everything up slightly to make it for two or more people.

Chicken & Spinach Curry

Ingredients:
  • 1 to 2 cups baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup roast chicken
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp hot chili oil
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp curry
  • 1 tsp sea salt 
Directions:
  1. Warm the olive oil and hot chili oil in a large pan over medium low heat.
  2. Add spinach to the warmed oil a little bit at a time and stir to cover in the oil.
  3. Stir the spinach until wilted and add the chicken, salt, curry, and milk.
  4. Continue stirring until the seasoning is well mixed into the spinach and chicken and no large clumps are built up on either.  Add a touch more milk if necessary.
  5. Continue to cook until spinach and chicken are heated thoroughly. 
  6. Serve on it's own or with rice, cous cous, or quinoa.
Serves 1

No comments:

Post a Comment