Saturday, August 13, 2011

Smoked Sausage & Corn Chowder



Autumn is my favorite season overall with winter coming in a close second. I love seeing the leaves turn, and am thankful for the cooler weather (especially being in the South!). The weather was a bit nicer today, so I'm hoping this means summer is coming to a close soon. With fall potentially around the corner, I wanted to share this warm and hearty recipe that I came across. :)

I found this on BigOven, and I adjusted a few things here and there to make it mine.  I then remade it so I could get the picture, and adjusted it even more.  I decided against using a full half pound of bacon, and went for closer to a quarter pound or less.  I got the same flavor without having to use quite as much of a meat that I can use for other dishes.  I also decided that next time I'm going to crisp the sausage with the bacon, and then remove both prior to putting in the celery and green onions.  This will bring out more of the sausage flavor which kind of gets lost in the chowder otherwise.  That's not to say this chowder isn't awesome, but rather to say that it could be more so!

Smoked Sausage & Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 lb bacon - chopped
  • 1 lb smoked sausage - sliced or chopped
  • 2 stalks celery - chopped
  • 2 to 3 green onions - chopped finely
  • 2 cups potatoes - peeled and diced
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 can unsalted corn - drained
  • 1 can cream-style corn
  • 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Cajun seasoning or Cayenne pepper optional (replace salt with Cajun seasoning as most have salt in them)
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, cook the bacon and sausage until bacon is crisp and sausage is nicely browned.
  2. Move the sausage and bacon from the pot onto a plate leaving the rendered fat in the pot.
  3. Add the chopped celery and onions to the bacon fat and cook until both are slightly tender.
  4. Add potatoes, water, and seasonings.  Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
  5. Stir in both cans of corn, evaporated milk, sausage, and bacon.
  6. Lower heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
  7. I recommend stirring the soup about every 5 to 10 minutes because it can scorch on the bottom if you don't.
  8. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Serves 4 to 6

2 comments: